As a public service to those who may have misplaced their Mayan calendars, we would like to remind you that according to the Mayans, the earth as we know it is scheduled for its final curtain call on Friday, December 21. For PC enthusiasts awaiting the apocalypse, now is the time for a quick trip to the nearest Micro Center for the dream PC upgrades you’ve been wanting. We’re talking now or never, folks, and there just isn’t time for shipping, especially when you consider Micro Center’s prices are lower, anyway.
We’ve assembled Micro Center’s dream PC upgrades to ensure the awesomeness of your rig regardless of whether or not the Mayan calendar proves correct. After all, with a beast of a rig in your corner, what are a few asteroids, pestilence outbreaks, and volcanos?
Processors: Intel Core i7 3970X 3.5GHz and AMD 6727 Opteron 2.1 GHz
After saying goodbye to your loved ones, the last thing you want to deal with is a slow processor. You might as well splurge and upgrade to the Intel Core i7 3970X 3.5GHz LGA 2011 for only $999.99 or an AMD 6727 Opteron 2.1 GHz for $509.99. Lag is not something you’re going to want while you’re making those final editing adjustments to the film you plan on jetting to space in hopes that somehow somewhere alien life will retrieve it and analyze the culture of the human race. So they cost a pretty penny? Whatever, it’s the end. Don’t let the mundane frugality of real life stop you from making your final days worthwhile. These processors are top of the line and will be able to handle just about anything you throw at it with ease. It’s comparable to recruiting Albert Einstein to write your science paper. Overkill or awesome possum?
Video Card: EVGA 04G-P4-2690-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4096MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card
Okay, bottom line. You need a good video card. Many of us will be holed up in bunkers underground watching Netflix and playing video games while the earth is transformed into a desolate land of ruin. Do you really want your picture to become pixilated even the slightest? I know the answer. It’s a resounding NAY! Better grab the EVGA 04G-P4-2690-KR NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690 4096MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card for $1,099.99. Money is no object….the world is ending.
Hard Drive: Western Digital 16TB Sentinel DX4000 Internal Server
Since the world is coming to a close, you are going to want to save everything on hard drives so the people of the future will be able to retrieve your data. You’re going to want the biggest and best. I recommend the 16TB Sentinel DX4000 internal server. Sure it’s a little big and you might not be able to fill it up in a thousand lifetimes, but heck, I’m sure the people of the future will be able to use it as a coffee table or something. Grab it now for only $1999.99. Guaranteed to protect and store all of your data from a thousand exploding suns.
Monitors: Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30” Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor
Your bunker may not be as comfortable as your regular computer room. You might end up sitting far away from the monitor. That’s why you need the biggest, brightest, cleanest looking one you can fine. Well that’s going to be the Dell Ultrasharp U3011 30” Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor for $1299.99, otherwise known as “BUBBA.” I’m not sure why. But since locusts will probably rain down from the sky and eat the planet bite by bite, you should probably just get it.
Motherboard for Intel CPUs: Asus Republic of Gamers X79 Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79 Intel Extended ATX Motherboard
The reigning king of Intel motherboards is the $429.99 Asus Republic of Gamers X79 Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79 Intel Extended ATX Motherboard. The Asus Republic of Gamers X79 Rampage IV has everything an enthusiast could want:
- Geared for overclocking with Subzero Sense Liquid Nitrogen cooling
- VGA Hotwire for overvolting your Graphics Card
- 4-way SLI
- CrossFire X
- 4X PCIe 3.0
- Lots of USB 3.0 ports and SATA 6 Gb/s ports
- Asus-exclusive Extreme Engine Digi+ II, ROG Connect, GPU.DIMM Post, and ROG iDirect
- X-Socket for switching out the back plate of the Intel LGA2011 socket
- OC Key which plugs into your graphics card DVI port between the card and cable so you can directly control your processor frequency and monitor the system temperatures and voltages with an onscreen display
With this level of capabilities, your post-apocalyptic bunker is sure to be mighty popular with your fellow survivors.
Motherboard for AMD: Asus Republic of Gamers Crosshair V Formula-Z Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX AMD Motherboard
For AMD’s latest and greatest processors, the $239.99 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX AMD Motherboard supports all of the latest features:
- The top AMD 990FX motherboard in the ASUS Republic of Gamers product stack.
- Uses the latest AMD AM3+ socket
- Boatload of features including four PCIe x16 expansion slots with option for 3-way NVIDIA SLI or AMD CrossFireX
- Extreme Engine DIGI+ helps heat dissipation and keeps critical components cooler, ROG Connect, GameFirst, CPU Level Up, GPU.DIMM Post, and BIOS Print.
Not only is the performance among the tops on the third planet from the sun, but at $239.99 it won’t break the bank should the end of the world prove to have been a little underwhelming when you wake up on December 22.
Sound Card: Asus Republic of Gamers Xonar Phoebus Gaming Sound Card Set
The best sound card currently available, the $229.99 Asus Republic of Gamers Xonar Phoebus Gaming Sound Card Set delivers amazing sound. Cool features include:
- Sound is clear, wide and with astonishing range
- Surround effects have a precision and clarity that will appeal to pro gamers looking for that extra edge
- Comes with a volume control dongle that extends the headphone and mic sockets to the desktop
- Colored lights behind the 3.5mm jacks on both the card and breakout dongle so you can see which port is which without struggling to decipher small icons
- Capable of 192KHz sampling
- High quality digital-audio converters and powerful TI6120A2*1 headphone amp
- So ridiculously powerful that it requires a 6 pin molex power connector like a graphics card
Gaming Mouse: Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Wireless Gaming Mouse
The $149.99 Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 9 Wireless Gaming Mouse shakes up the world of gaming mice. With total customizability, superb comfort, and outstanding exclusive features, the R.A.T. 9 leads the field.
Gaming Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Battlefield 3 Edition
The $149.99 BlackWidow Ultimate Battlefield 3 Edition weds high-quality switchgear with a complete gaming feature set, including extra keys and on-the-fly macro recording.
Ultimate HDTV: LG 84LM9600 84″ CLASS ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION 3D TV WITH SMART TV
In the event the Mayan Apocalypse packs all the punch of previous “End of the World” dates, and we’re all happily celebrating 2013 after all, check out Micro Center’s ultimate HDTV offering for 2013, the $16,999.99 LG 84LM9600 84″ CLASS ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION 3D TV WITH SMART TV. The gigantic LG 84LM9600 84” will include these features:
- Ultra HD 4K Resolution (3840 X 2160P)
- LG Cinema 3D
- LG Smart TV
- LED Plus W/Local Dimming
These are some of the dream upgrades and gear from Micro Center. Tell us what other upgrades and gear you’ve been dreaming of.